Chat Box

Friday, February 12, 2010

A Paradigm Shift

This picture was taken inside a cab as we travel to La Trinidad, Benguet.

The Road to Baguio- A Paradigm Shift
February 11,2010

The nature of my work is travel. I spend more or less 8 hours a day in a public utility bus every time Im tasked to do field works. Eight hours? you think its boring? Its not. The road that leads to work is an opportunity for me to learn new things. Its an opportunity to meditate, to have quiet time and to renew my mind as I see the glorious environment outside the window. Here's a lesson that I've learned the hard way inside the bus:

This day, I need to go to Baguio. Baguio City is 5 hours away from home so I can say that its a really really long ride. I entered the bus and chose a comfortable place in the middle seats. I sat near the window for the view. I have my seat, I have my window and I have my view. No one can take this comfort away from me.

After a minute, 4 elderly people entered the bus--3 grandmas and a grandpa. They were noisy especially the grandpa who seemed to be bragging that he can endure the cold temperature inside the bus without using a jacket. The grandpa sat in front of my seat. He kept on talking and bragging. I had a bit of an irritation that time but I just ignored it. As I've said, Im comfortable--I have my sit, my window and my view. Until he inclined his seat leaving me a limited space and a disquieting state.

That time, I really hated the old man. I cant complain and I dont know why. I cant sleep, I cant move freely. For 5 hours, Im annoyed with the old man and im irritated with the entire situation.

Twenty-minutes before reaching Baguio changed my paradigm towards the man and probably towards life. I saw him holding a handkerchief in his forehead and another handkerchief in his right hand. The hanky on his hand is filled with blood blots. He wiped his nose and I saw more blood in his hands and hanky. That view broke my heart. :(

What if the old man has a serious disease? What if he's going to Baguio to enjoy the remaining days of his life? What if his bragging and noisy personality is a way to survive life? I dont know. What I know is that the man taught me a lesson. The lesson of love.

In our road to life, we will meet strangers, difficult personalities and people that will push our buttons. The question is, are we going to love them in spite and despite of?

-end-

Here's some pictures of my "side-trips" at Baguio and La Trinidad. Click the pictures to open the entire album.

Click image to view the album

Click image to view the album

No comments:

Post a Comment